The course will begin at 8:00am and will go until approximately 4:30pm each day. Lunch, snacks and drinks will be provided.
$1050 + GST for SWANA Members
$1150 + GST for Non-Members
SWANA Certification Exam
$250 + GST for SWANA Members
$350 + GST for Non-Members
**please note, SWANA memberships are individual. In order to qualify for the discounted rate the membership number supplied must be in the name of the registrant.
This course addresses the factors in the design, operation and management of a transfer station. It deals with how to effectively communicate and overcome the challenges in planning and operating a transfer station and how the planning and design impact construction and operation.
(2 days; optional written exam)
Earn 30 SWANA CEUs and/or 1.8 CEU’s towards your Alberta Landfill Operator Certification
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss and understand the steps, factors, local requirements in site selection and development and conceptual design
- Describe site specific characteristics such as peak flows, waste processing and hauling technologies, and building design
- Implement procedures in protecting transfer station property, identifying problematic waste and compliance requirements
- Minimize risk to personnel, maintain and properly use diverse equipment
- Plan and ensure all regulatory requirements and develop a comprehensive recordkeeping program are incorporated.
- Employ proactive communication with employers, customers, and general public
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for Transfer Station managers, developers, consulting engineers, and transfer haul drivers.
The course consists of lectures, class activities, exercises, and a facility tour (when available in proximity to the class location) to see theory in everyday practice. The text for the course is Managing Transfer Stations Systems. This comprehensive manual details the following topics with supplemental images, graphs, examples and exercises. It serves as an On-the-Job reference.