Online courses typically start at 8:00 am and go until approximately 4:00 pm Mountain (Alberta) Time.
You will require a computer, video camera and internet connection. If you are taking this for CEUs you will be required to be visible via video camera
Locationlive online classroom (via Zoom)
$250/person plus GST
Leachate Management is a comprehensive look at the management of leachate from production to collection and storage to treatment including design and operation of landfills. Participants in this course will also examine the complex combination of physical, chemical, and microbial processes that creates this toxic mix; survey the regulations from Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba; discuss minimizing and mitigating leachate outbreaks; and, look at various treatment options.
(1 day; no written exam)
Earn 4 SWANA CEU’s and/or .7 CEU’s towards your Alberta Landfill Operator Certification
- Describe the general properties of leachate and how leachate is formed and altered over the lifetime of the landfill.
- Understand the importance of landfill design, construction, and operation on leachate production and collection and control.
- Understand the regulatory requirements for leachate management, including monitoring, recordkeeping, reporting, and releases to the environment.
- Define the maximum acceptable leachate head, and describe how to monitor leachate head and the effects of extreme precipitation events.
- Understand the requirements for leachate monitoring at a landfill, including sampling locations and frequency, and leachate analysis.
- Describe methods to minimize and remediate the occurrence of leachate outbreaks.
- Understand options for on-site and off-site treatment, pre-treatment, and final treatment.
- Understand hazards associated with leachate and leachate collection and treatment systems and the appropriate safety precautions.
Who Should Attend
Landfill owners, operators, managers, supervisors, foremen, as well as engineers, consultants and employees responsible for daily landfill operation.