The course will begin at 8:00 am and will go until approximately 4:30 pm. Lunch and beverages will be provided.
LocationThe Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
InstructorSteve Johnson, Ash Raichura
Funding will be provided to cover the course registration cost for a limited number of registrants. To qualify, you must be an Alberta-based landfill operator. Funds will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. These funds were provided through a creative sentencing resulting from the prosecution of a landfill offense. Alberta-based landfill operators, please register via the links below, but don't submit payment (choose "Cheque Payment / Invoice" instead of "credit card payment").
$225 + GST for SWANA Members **
$275 + GST for Non-Members
**please note, SWANA memberships are individual. In order to qualify for the discounted rate the membership number supplied must be in the name of the registrant.
Leachate Management is a comprehensive look at the management of leachate from production to collection and storage to treatment including design and operation of landfills. Participants in this course will also examine the complex combination of physical, chemical, and microbial processes that creates this toxic mix; survey the regulations from Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba; discuss minimizing and mitigating leachate outbreaks; and, look at various treatment options.
(1 day; no written exam)
Earn 4 SWANA CEU’s and/or .7 CEU’s towards your Alberta Landfill Operator Certification
- Describe the general properties of leachate and how leachate is formed and altered over the lifetime of the landfill.
- Understand the importance of landfill design, construction, and operation on leachate production and collection and control.
- Understand the regulatory requirements for leachate management, including monitoring, recordkeeping, reporting, and releases to the environment.
- Define the maximum acceptable leachate head, and describe how to monitor leachate head and the effects of extreme precipitation events.
- Understand the requirements for leachate monitoring at a landfill, including sampling locations and frequency, and leachate analysis.
- Describe methods to minimize and remediate the occurrence of leachate outbreaks.
- Understand options for on-site and off-site treatment, pre-treatment, and final treatment.
- Understand hazards associated with leachate and leachate collection and treatment systems and the appropriate safety precautions.
Who Should Attend
Landfill owners, operators, managers, supervisors, foremen, as well as engineers, consultants and employees responsible for daily landfill operation.