The course will begin at 8:00am and will go until approximately 4:30pm each day. Lunch, snacks and drinks will be provided.
LocationTown of Okotoks Operation Centre
$895 + GST for SWANA Members **
$1045 + GST for Non-Members
**please note, SWANA memberships are individual. In order to qualify for the discounted rate the membership number supplied must be in the name of the registrant.
After completing this course, learners should understand:
- The fundamentals of municipal solid waste design and operation
- The methods, types, and levels of collection services
- The three types of collection equipment design and proper equipment maintenance practices
- The four “proven” collection methods
- The guidelines and techniques associated with collection vehicle routing
- The guidelines and techniques associated with yard waste, special waste, and commercial waste
- The issues associated with organizing and managing collection services, including the basics of personnel management
- The concepts and practices associated with cost accounting and financing collection services
- The manager’s role and responsibility in establishing and maintaining health and safety programs
- How to design and implement an effective billing and customer service program
- How to obtain support for collection programs and implement an education and outreach program
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for collection system owners, operators, managers, system planners, and employees responsible for daily collection system operations.
The course consists of lectures, class activities, exercises, and a facility tour (when available in proximity to the class location) to see theory in everyday practice. The text for the course is Managing Collection Systems. This comprehensive manual details the following topics with supplemental images, graphs, examples and exercises. It serves as an On-the-Job reference.